One of the most relaxing things in the world is sitting by a crackling fire with a nice beverage (wobbly pop) in your hand talking and laughing with family and friends. I mean who doesn’t love camping? This is one of my families favorite activities and we take advantage of our geographic location weekly in the hot summer months, and in Alberta Canada that means about 2 weeks in late July! We in Alberta have a saying, we have 6 months of winter and 6 months of bad sledding. But in all honesty our family just loves camping and quading.
We have enough camping experience to know that certain things can be made easier with just a little fore planning. So without further adieu, here are 5 great ideas for making your camping trip easier.
1. Make your own fire starter – Place cotton balls in hand sanitizer. All you have to do is take cotton balls and put them in a Ziploc bag and pour enough hand sanitizer to soak the cotton balls… And that’s it. When you need a fire going place 4 or 6 cotton balls on the bottom of your kindling and light them up, they will stay lit for quite some time.
2. Put a sharp edge on any knife without a knife sharpener – Dull knife and no sharpening stone? Not to worry all you need is a car window. Just turn down the window and use the top to sharpen your knife, I was initially skeptical about this but when i tried it i was amazed. It really puts a great edge on your blade.
3. Eggs in travel mode. Use an empty 1 liter water bottle and crack eggs to fill up the bottle. Shake the bottle to scramble the eggs and viola, you have a space saving travel ready container of eggs that are easily pour-able for your breakfast.
4. build a “log cabin” to start your fire. As an avid camper, I feel I have found the best way to light a fire with great success every time. First build a lot cabin with the kindling, place 4-6 cotton balls soaked with hand sanitizer in the bottom of the “log cabin” and light it up, doing it this way will exposed more surface area of the wood to flames. This way has always worked well for me.
5. Make paper fire logs – What can you do with all the annoying flyers you get in the mail? Make fire logs! Soak the flyers or newspaper in water and a dash of dish soap for a couple of hours, then layout the paper 3-4 sheets think and using a dowel rod Roll up the flyers or newspaper until you reach the size of “log” you want. Let them dry for a few days and they are ready to burn. These are a great way to use all the paper we get in the mail.